WE’RE HIRING: We’re looking for a new Research Assistant/Associate!
A Research Assistant/Associate position has become available as part of the Climate Compatible Growth (CCG) programme, an exciting research programme involving leading UK universities and KTH Sweden.
CCG is funded by the UK’s Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), which aims to support investment in sustainable energy and transport systems to meet development priorities in the Global South. The key partner countries in CCG are Kenya, Zambia, Ghana, Lao PDR, Viet Nam and India where joint research projects are in place. The specific focus of this post is critical materials (such as lithium, cobalt, graphite) to support low-carbon transition in developing countries.
The post holder will be located in Cambridge, UK. This post is full-time and offered on an initial fixed-term contract basis to start as soon as possible after 1st August 2023 for 6 months or until 31/03/2024, whichever comes sooner (with the likelihood of an extension, as the CCG budget is renewed annually).
The key responsibilities and duties are:
- Research critical material production & supply chains
- Model supply chain changes
- Academic & policy writing
- Collaborate with institutions in selected CCG partner countries
The skills, qualifications and experience required for the role:
- Applicants must have (or be close to obtaining) a PhD in Engineering or a field relating to mining, supply chains, or similar.
- Knowledge and experience in: environmental assessment, emissions accounting, tools of Industrial Ecology; cost estimations of supply chains and production processes of minerals; programming languages (i.e. Python, MATLAB, R), software control (i.e. GitHub) and GIS-type software.
- Collaboration and communication with multicultural partners, research institutes, colleagues.
- Evidence of potential to produce and clearly communicate high-quality research outputs.
- Experience of managing own workload, sticking to deadlines, and ability to constantly update knowledge.
Appointment at Research Associate level is dependent on having a PhD. Those who have submitted but not yet received their PhD will be appointed at Research Assistant level, which will be amended to Research Associate once the PhD has been awarded.
Salary ranges: * Research Assistant: £28,929 – £33,348 * Research Associate: £35,308 – £43,155
If this project excites you and you’d like to know more, please visit the Cambridge Careers website here for further information about the role available. The closing date for applications is 28th July 2023.
If you have any questions about this vacancy, please contact Prof Jonathan Cullen at firstname.lastname@example.org for queries of a technical nature related to this role, and please contact Joanna Wakeling at email@example.com for queries about the application process.
We look forward to hearing from you!